The Author- Ashley

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
My name is Ashley and I am a lot of things, read this blog to learn more... Thank you for visiting my blog!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

NAMI Efforts

Let me give a recap as to what happening: last month I received an award from NAMI Georgia, "Mentor of the Year" for my role in NAMI's Peer-to-Peer Recovery Education Course. I feel really good about it, honored to be recognized for the effort and very excited about it.

Now, I am leading another NAMI Peer-to-Peer class. It is going very well, participants are very engaged and willing to share. I feel really good about the group, many of us can relate to each other and that is awesome.

If you are interested in learning more about schizophrenia visit NAMI or Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia (Canada).

6 comments:

Helen said...

Congrats! Bigtime! I am so proud of you. Keep doing all these wonderful classes.

Helena

Lady_Amanda said...

Yeah! Ashely way to go. I think peer groups are wonderful. And it's awesome that your work is being recongized. I go to a clinic run by the county because I have Medicaid and Medicare so I go to groups through there. They are runned by liscensed professionals, but they let us do a lot of the work. My Mom has bipolar and is under my Dad's private work insurance. So she doesn't have the lexury of clinics with groups. However, she goes to a peer group called DBSA! My Mom loves it and they asked her to train to be a peer leader. I really hope she follows through with it. Again, Congrats on the award.

Blessings and hugs,
Amanda

Valash said...

Thank you for your blessings, ya'll!

Ashley

Nishant said...

hello, my name is nishant. i am from india. i am suffering from catatonic schizophrenia. i need to speak to you . could you help me?

Valash said...

Hello Nishant,

I am not a professional health care provider and can not give medical advice. However, you may email me with any comments at info@embracingmymind.org.

Thank you,

Ashley

Jen Daisybee said...

Hi Ashley,
I noticed you had not posted in a long time. I was wondering how things were going with your advocacy efforts in Georgia. I am involved with NAMI in Florida, and have taken the Peer-to-Peer course here. I am part of our local consumer council and speak to police officers for Crisis Intervention Team Training here. I'm glad you are still working for advocacy in Georgia, and congratulations on your award!