Skip to main content

I Am Happy Today Because...

I am 31 years old. I am a single-parent. I am a writer, an advocate and peer counselor for mental wellness. I also have schizoaffective disorder; schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder (mania), and anxiety. And today, I am happy... I have a beautiful son that I am thankful to have and to love on every second of my life! I am working on a book...


Ashley Smith
Because of my condition I am more aware of mental illness. I am passionate for the cause to fight the ongoing beast of widespread stigma, and negativity on persons living with mental health conditions. I aim to encourage mental wellness for myself, peers, and EVERYBODY. Living with my diagnoses enables me to be conscious of my self care needs, demand to engage in self-love activities, and to strive for overall wellness with my many goals, and attempts to get it right! 


Now my greatest challenge is my depression, anxiety, and side effects of my medication. With my depression I've slept for extended periods of time as if exhausted, but no physical labor to validate the sleep. It could be difficult to maintain energy to function at the pace I am accustomed to. My anxiety and side effect of my medication, which is poor focus and vision impacts me at work today. 


However, I am fortunate to manage these concerns with my doctor's prescriptions, regular therapy sessions twice a month or more often depending on my levels of stress, and engaging in my support system; and coping skills that include: journaling, creating a monthly budget, talking to close friends and family regularly, listening to music, lighting candles, buying flowers, and greeting cards for myself to keep me uplifted. I journal and write about my daily activities, give thanks to my Father God, and reflect on disappointments and happenings in my life. 


Currently, I am working part-time for a non-emergency resource information line for a mental health advocacy group in Georgia. My position requires me to respond to requests for resources in Georgia by phone and email. I talk to peers, care partners and caregivers, mental health professionals, activist, educators, law enforcement, and people like you! I love my job, because I feel like I am helping the recovery movement whenever I share my personal experience living in recovery, and to make effective local referrals and linkages to care in our communities.


Despite working 4-hour shifts I have to manage myself by attending to self care demands, because I am stationed at a desk and constantly on the computer, and calling individuals back with a list of resources. My self care needs at work are to take a mini break that may include reflecting on the moment, only, eating a snack, checking in with a friend, and self encouragement. My self encouragement may be motivational self-talk such as 'Ashley, you can do this... Ashley, take your time... Ashley, you got this!' During really difficult days, which are rare, I may journal on my light work break, pace the parking lot, and to take my anxiety medication. 


All of my coping tactics help me maintain my position at work, and to live well. There is no single coping act that trumps all coping skills to me, because I must rotate them for effectiveness, practice routine, and to 'be gentle with myself,' as a close friend says. I am not for or against medication, I support whatever helps my peers with professional support, but I take my medication because it works for me.


I am happy today, because of all of these things. I've been in recovery for 10 years! I am proud of myself. I may not have the fantasy life I envisioned growing up; I do not have a bachelor's degree. I do not own my home. And I cannot sing, but I am a proud mother. I am a proud daughter, sister, auntie, cousin, niece, friend, girlfriend, and peer... And I have many great relationships; 1) with my God and family, 2) best friends, and 3) my many peers and associates that add to my life and help with goals. 


Finally, I am working on my follow up book to What's On My Mind? A Collection of Blog Entries from Overcoming Schizophrenia, Volume I. My follow up book will be titled: What's On My Mind? Coping Takes Work, Volume II. 


Lastly, thank you for checking on me- much love! Ashley


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with