Skip to main content

How to Restore Your Motivation and Manage Depression

Regaining motivation is tough but it is possible.
Resiliency is an inherent gift. In spite of setbacks we learn how to manage. However, some of us unconsciously turn to quick coping strategies that may spiral out of control and lead to an unhealthy lifestyle. These quick fixes may include but are not limited to smoking, substance abuse, overeating, abuse of prescription drugs, and dysfunctional relationships. Ultimately these habits may lead or worsen depression and our mental makeup. 

My depression looks like extreme exhaustion, lack of motivation, oversleeping, poor eating habits, irritability, isolation, anxiety, no excitement, and minimal fluctuation in mood. This is not me. Depression may also include: poor hygiene, suicidal thoughts, recurring hospitalizations, and suicide attempts. Depression looks different for everybody. However, the common denominator is feeling low, unlike ourselves, and suffering in a mediocre state of mind and lifestyle. If any of these feelings define you right now, I encourage you to seek professional help such as counseling, calling a hotline, reaching out to law enforcement (specifically, a Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) officer who is trained to help in crisis situations), and to seek mental health treatment by a professional.

Generally, restoring motivation may look like gaining different rewards for various assignments and tasks. Frequently, people utilize money, dessert, and a range of other rewards. These do not apply to mental health issues. In fact, people who do not suffer from lack of motivation and depression may offer suggestions that sound good. Still, they do not understand the magnitude of the problem. Dealing with mental health concerns is different. Trust me I have experienced the lows of depression and lack of motivation and it is disruptive to my routine and ability to function.  

Reaching the motivation to act is challenging but it is possible. I have schizoaffective disorder which is a combination of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. My schizophrenia symptoms are minimal, but the mood swings are an ongoing battle. I experience the vicious cycle of mania followed by depression and the wide range of its detrimental effect it has on me. Every day I strive to understand my mental health needs. Sometimes I catch my fluctuated moods, while other times my support system acknowledges the shifts and tells me. 

Finally, to help overcome challenges with depression and lack of motivation I carry out a range of coping strategies that may help you or somebody you know. I do not perform these activities in any particular order. When I recognize that I am on a downward spiral I reach out to family and friends more often. I get moving with a stroll around the block for about 20 minutes or more. These walks enable me to feel the sunlight that helps rejuvenate me. 

Occasionally, I keep a mood journal which identifies my highs and lows according to a scale such as the doctor’s office of 1 through 10; 1 feeling in crisis mode, 10-excellent. My mood journal helps me determine whether I am more balanced, manic, or depressed when managed over the course of a several days in order to see a pattern. Cooking and other task becomes a significant chore that is difficult to overcome. Therefore, I cook more meals when I feel up to it or eat more snacks and stock up frozen dinners. Other times I carry out responsibilities in short increments of time. 

Ultimately, I reach out to my treatment team. I seek therapy and medication adjustment. In the past, I took both antidepressant and anti-psychotic medications. Now I am on a mood stabilizer and anti-psychotic. I understand some people do not engage in medication regimens. I am an advocate for whatever works best for my peers, however, I use medication to help me cope.

From peer to peer I hope this article provided insight and support. Again, I encourage you to seek professional attention if you are suffering from depression. There is no such thing as light depression. Do not minimize your symptoms. If you are experiencing depression and it effects your daily lifestyle and routine, I urge you to contact a professional for guidance. 

Also, I wrote a book that discusses the benefits of therapy, Coping Takes Work. It is a collection of rewritten blog articles. Therapy helps the whole person, try it again and again to restore your best self and also your motivation. 

Lastly, we are resilient. Continue to strive to stay in your good place, whatever that may look like. Recovery is unique to everybody. Please share these coping mechanisms to help peers, caregivers, and professionals to support the journey of recovery on how to restore motivation and to manage depression. 

Here is a resource to help manage during the dark times: 

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-8255

Comments

Ashley Smith said…
Hi Laine, thank you for your feedback. I am glad you are going back to gain support with a professional. I do not have a blog post on famous persons with mental illness, especially on schizophrenia. Do give offer some pointers, I am open-minded to such a blog article to spread hope... Yes, we are not victims of mental illness, we are survivors. All the best to you and your family, Laine. Thank you, Ashley

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with