Skip to main content

Regaining Control in Response to Early Warning Signs and Symptoms


I discovered how to regain control of my recovery by redirecting the focus onto stress management techniques. Initially, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, however, my symptoms presented those which resemble both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Specifically, my symptoms included: mania, anxiety, depression, delusions, paranoia, and hallucinations, etc. Accordingly, my diagnosis became schizoaffective disorder. Managing the mania is an ongoing battle for me.

    Reflecting on my past behaviors, especially shifts in my mood and symptoms, I created a blueprint on how to rejuvenate and get back on top of life. In this blog article, I will list seven early warning signs to be mindful of. Moreover, I will discuss methods which I personally use to fight back against the odds. However, I am not promising complete healing and avoidance of relapse, but I am simply sharing the tools that I utilize to maintain my health goals.

    Whenever I exhibit certain signs and symptoms I try to recycle my wellness tools. Here are 7 early warning signs:


1. Shifts in sleeping patterns. For me, not getting adequate sleep could lead to elevated moods or mania. Yet, excessive sleep could indicate a steady decline into my depression.

2. Excessive texting. A strong indication that I am manic occurs when I reach out to people in my circle of influence and beyond with excessive texting to check-in, catch up, and to share thoughts, etc.

3. A surge in thoughts. Occasionally, my mind races with ideas that demand a lot of attention, but I cannot activate the plans because my mind cannot to focus on multiple projects at once.

4. Misunderstood. When those closest to me tell me they can't follow my train of thought or are confused by my line of thinking I reflect on these conversations after the fact, and consider analyzing my stress level in order to address it.

5. A buildup of stress. Life is stressful, however, I recognize that I can be hyper-sensitive to everyday stressors. Examples of daily stressors is managing traffic and being late, bills and financial obligations, and also disagreements with family and friends. Overtime these stressors buildup and wear me down by interfering with my memory, feeling like there's ongoing pressure on my mind and body, and thus, triggering my lack of patience and producing irritability. 

6. A disrupted routine. I discovered that I manage well with a self-care routine. I have a wide variety of habits that helps me stay balanced such as writing in my journal, and prayer and meditation. When I lose consistency in my daily routine I could tell I need to concentrate on my wellness. 

7. A pileup of house chores. Whenever I notice how uncomfortable or unmanageable areas of my space becomes I start to realize that I need to regroup and redirect my attention onto my basic self-care needs. Not to say that my home is tidy or spotless, however, there are degrees of tolerance or intolerance to messiness such as an overfilled trashcan that just sits and I seem to work with it. 

    

    However, accepting a rigorous call to action can disrupt the downward spiral. Here are 7 stress reduction strategies to maintain wellness:


1. Walking. Walking has always created stress relief whether around my neighborhood, in the park, or gym, because I can clear my thoughts.

2. Therapy. When I feel overwhelmed I schedule an appointment with my therapist and come to the session with an agenda or list of stressors to discuss and resolve.

3. Medication. Even though I understand this may not work for all of my peers, it works for me. Occasionally, I ask for an adjustment to my medication dosage and discuss additional options with my doctor. 

4. Cleaning. When I am anxious I focus on performing house chores. Cleaning takes a level of concentration to organize and rearrange stuff. It helps me clear my mind. Afterwards, I feel relieved and enjoy the atmosphere.

5. Rest. This is a huge stress management technique because resting rejuvenates the body. When I get enough sleep I can utilize my energy to work on other areas of my life.

6. Projects. Sometimes I create new projects to exercise my creativity and to stay busy.

7. Prayer. My prayers manifest clarity. I say my prayers aloud and remember to be grateful for what I have. 

    

    I share my experience so that it may empower others to relate and enhance coping strategies to manage similar challenges. Therefore, I encourage my peers to observe and accept individual warning signs and symptoms in order to address them. 

    I've experienced two psychotic breaks over the last 14 years, and I have more mental battles to overcome. I believe that another breakdown is inevitable for me, because of the uncertainty in dealing with a brain disorder. I understand I am not immune to another psychotic break. Still, I strive to master stress management skills every day to control what I can. My goal is to defeat my condition by getting back up after every breakdown by utilizing my wide range of coping tools, my faith, and hope that I can manage to bounce back. 

    I must be clear that mental illness is a very serious condition that stress management techniques may not always be able to resolve due to the severity of the condition. In fact, I advise every individual living with a mental health condition to discuss treatment options and a crisis plan with their healthcare professional. 


Comments

Tyshawn Knight said…
Thank you for your blog post. I enjoyed the information
Great stuff!

When you're fighting a war, and on multiple fronts, it's necessary to think ahead and make necessary preparations. I think you've laid out some solid steps. Good on you for striving forward,and also aiming to help others do the same. Schizophrenia and Schizoaffective disorder are enemies that aim to conquer. So it's great to see these useful tips that are able to help others guard against them, just as they've helped you in your daily life. Thank you.
Ashley Smith said…
Thank you both for your support. I am glad my experience can empower others. Sincerely, Ashley
Ben Kelvin said…
Thanks for sharing this. I think if someone has mental health issues like stress, depression, or other. They have to immediately make a contact with therapists who are providing mental health therapy services. In those cases, the only therapist helps the person to recover from it.

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with