Skip to main content

Guest Blogger - Victoria's Recovery and Self-care Routine

This is a guest post from a fellow blogger who is also in recovery with schizoaffective disorder. I believe Victoria's story will provide reassurance and hope that recovery is possible. The following is Victoria's self-care routine, how she manages, and a link to her blog... Thank you, Victoria for sharing your recovery with us on the Overcoming Schizophrenia blog.


There are many ways to recover from Schizophrenia I have found out this last year away from pharmacological treatment. Antipsychotic meds helped to stabilize me but fell short and the side effects have been terrible.


Now that I am taking kratom as an antipsychotic I have been relieved of delusions. The only problem with kratom though is that I have to keep taking it to remain sane and still take antipsychotic medicine but at a lower dose. Some of the additional benefits are that I am more social, able to travel and have energy and motivation to do a lot.


However recently I came across a cure for Schizoaffective Disorder. I am pursuing homeopathic treatment to cure me. Others have done so successfully so I am hopeful. Feel free to follow my blog to read more about how I progress with this 6 month treatment.


I do a lot to keep my symptoms of psychosis away which I am grateful to Ashley for inviting me to write on her blog how I have recovered and how I balance everything.


In a nutshell I make sure to take daily care of my mind, body and spirit connection. I’m learning how to get creative with my life and all the people I love and my blogging/writing. 


For my mind, I surround myself with positive people, read uplifting stories, poems and quotes. If I get stressed or down I make sure to take good care of who and what I do.


This seems to work well. 


I also take good care of my body, by getting enough sleep and exercising every day possible, eating healthy and drinking water along with a daily treat. Please see my May 2020 Series for more ideas of self care.  Last year I also found out that eating a ketogenic diet can also put symptoms of Schizophrenia in remission. I am not able to follow this diet but it is important to note.


Last but not least I take care of my spirit.  I do this with prayer, asking others to pray and doing good for whomever God puts in my path each day. The more I give the more I receive so I’m pretty generous now that I am doing well.


I’m not perfect in my endeavors but am very happy with my progress. I’m not sure what the future holds for me yet but am excited each day that unfolds. I hope to continue to write and share with the world my continued recovery. 


Paz

Victoria 


Short Bio

Victoria Marie Alonso believes she has had symptoms of Schizophrenia since an early age but her first full blown psychotic break occurred in 2006 at age 36. She was diagnosed by a team of doctors at UCLA in 2008 with Schizophrenia and was fine- tuned to Schizoaffective Disorder bipolar type. She was 100% med compliant for 14 years but while the voices subsided she still suffered from delusional symptoms until recently when she discovered a natural herb that would put her psychotic symptoms in full remission in 2022. Her life has never been better nor more manageable and her life is centered around her family and her full time blogging at- 

Noshameinschizophrenia.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with