Skip to main content

Building Trust

Trusting others is a hard thing to do in general, but it is especially difficult living with an illness such as schizophrenia, that makes you paranoid and suspicious of even your closest friends and relatives. This was especially difficult for me to deal with in the early stages of the illness, when I was oblivous, as well as family and friends were, to the fact that I even had a mental illness. The illness made me think my mother could read my mind along with members of the community, the illness also made me believe my aunt and cafeteria staff were trying to poison me or to harm me, and everyone was against me (even if they were a complete stranger). My illness made me think my family was against me or were replacements, this freaked me out! Because I did not know who was who so I asked each member various questions only they would know to distinguish the fake from the real.

After spending some time away from my family in the hospital and in independent living and being stabalized on medication, I began to rebuild a trusting relationship with family. We talked everyday since we lived in different states, my mother and sister in Atlanta, and me in San Diego. They were very concerned about my overall treatment- in independent living and with my doctor.

Building trust with someone is very important because they may help you make a very difficult decision such as moving, like my familly did with me. They offer a unique form of support that nobody else can fulfill. My advocates are my mother, sister, and my stepfather. We discuss my symptoms, daily rituals, and spend time together.

I encourage everyone to find someone they could trust, it does not have to be a family member, it could be someone on your treatment team, your significant other, or a good friend, anyone who you feel comfortable with and who has your best interest. Taking your medication is one of the most important things you could do to help yourself so that you can think rationally and can build trust with someone again.

To learn more about schizophrenia and to get support visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness or Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia (Canada).

Comments

Laura said…
I can really relate to this post even though I don't have schizophrenia. When I had a psychotic episode a couple of years ago I was extremely paranoid and believed that everyone I knew hated me and were in on some kind of conspiracy against me. Sadly this even included my husband. I literally felt that I couldn't trust anyone. It scared me so much that I seriously contemplated suicide and probably would have followed through with it had I not been put on Risperdal. Trust is so vitally important for anyone with a mental illness.
As Lovers Go said…
do you live in NS? you are doing so well for being there if you are. We have had nothing but bad experiences with the mental health care system.
Anonymous said…
Trusting someone and having their trust is important. My support is my wife Margaret. She doesn't have any mental illness, so at times she doesn't know what to say or do, but she's always there for me...always.
Anonymous said…
I thought everyone was against me too. Even therapist and doctors. I have learned to trust the doctors (most of them) and the therapists better. They really do have my best interest in mind, though I didn't use to think that.
Ashley Smith said…
Anonymous Drifter,
I am glad you are well now. I agree with you that people with mental illness need someone to trust, that also applies to people without mental illness.

As Lovers Go,
I live in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I hope things turn around for you.

Earlyriser,
That is good you have Margaret who is there for you.

BellaBeauty,
I am glad you trust your doctors, that is very important to form a good relationship with them so they can better help you.

Thanks for commenting!
Ashley

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with