Skip to main content

Closer to Recovery Part III

Recovery for me began when I accepted my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia almost two years ago, in 2007. Since then I participated in a few support groups, lived in an independent living establishment for people with mental health concerns, and I continue to take my medication voluntarily on a regular basis. The medication allows me to focus and to do what I want and need to do. It is a blessing to have such advanced knowledge to help people overcome mental illness! I hope someone will find a cure for schizophrenia and other mental illnesses so that I don't have to remember to take my medication. I wouldn't have to be put in a separate category as vulnerable or different from the average person because of my mental illness.

The recovery process has taught me a lot about myself and continues to educate me about mental illness. As I said before, I did not even know what schizophrenia was until it became a part of my life. I am glad I recognize what is going on with me, and what pushed me to change my beliefs and behavior from the past. The thing is I am the old Ashley but now informed, new and improved. I understand what triggered my psychotic breakdown and the warning signs. For example, my triggers were financial stress, moving and adjusting to a new environment.

As a result of my recovery process I want to see other people overcome mental illness too. At first, I started this blog to capture daily emotions and events, however, it grew into something more when other people contributed their experiences. Now, I have blossomed into another stage of recovery and mental health advocacy through my new support group, Embracing My Mind. I want Embracing My Mind to be a resource for people living with mental health concerns and those affected by mental illness. I want to be able to mature on my path to recovery with other people in the support circle.

For resources on schizophrenia visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), Schizophrenia Society of Novia Scotia, and Embracing My Mind.

Comments

Barbara said…
My son developed schizophrenia from the removal of a brain tumor. He absolutely hates, and often refuses to take his medication, risperal.(by injection) I wish I knew why.
Ashley Smith said…
Hello Barbara,

Thank you for sharing your experience with schizophrenia. I am sorry to hear that your son refuses medication that will help him get better. There are many reasons why he may refuse treatment. I, for example, used to refuse treatment because I did not believe I was sick. I hope you will visit this blog again and share updates on your son's improvements.

I hope that you are in a good support group, if not there are many forums you should consider like: Schizophrenia Support Network.com, Embracing My Mind, and the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI).

Ashley

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with