The Author- Ashley

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
My name is Ashley and I am a lot of things, read this blog to learn more... Thank you for visiting my blog!

Monday, October 6, 2008

My Name is Mental Illness (A Poem)

Exact from poem published by the Association for Pastoral Care in Mental Health Newsletter. In honor of Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW) I found this poem online from the Jewish Association for the Mentally Ill (JAMI), U.K. (http://www.jamiuk.org/).

(Untitled)
My name is mental illness
I have been around since man was created
Many different names have been given to me
In the past - Loony, Nutter, Village Idiot, and so forth were used by
society.
To describe WHO I AM
In modern times - I have become sophisticated.
I am now labelled Depressive, Manic, Obsessive, Schizophrenic.
By people who have not lived with me.
To know me, and my capabilities.
You have a life that you think you own.
But I would like to remind you.
When I strike I pay no regard to who you are.
Or what you have achieved in society.
I take you Rich or Poor.
I take you Young or Old.
I take you Beautiful or Ugly regardless of colour or creed

7 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

Omnipotent?

Dano MacNamarrah said...

Hey sweets~ Another wonderful post. Well done on finding and sharing this insightful poem.

In America, there are birds called Loons, and in Philadelphia our mayor is Mr. Nutter. As to village idiots, we have our fair share. A certain Mr. Bush springs to mind.

Peek-A-Boo Street said...

Thank you for visiting my blog. I like your movie picks you have in your profile and I like that Scrabble game to. You seem to have a great resource here for others who have mental illnesses. I'm sure they will appreciate you for sharing. Best wishes from Peek-A-Boo Street!

Persephone said...

It's true. Mental illness can strike anyone. Good thing that there is hope for those who need it.

herhtdm said...

It is only xanax, not alcohol, which can offer suitable relief from the anxiety pangs. Other than alcohol, that is likely to make people violent and aggressive instead of providing suitable cure for their depression and anxiety, you should opt for the anti-anxiety pill xanax only when it has been prescribed by a doctor. To obtain relief from anxiety, depression and related disorders, Xanax alcohol is never to be sought after as mixing xanax and alcohol can unleash tremendous harm to your health. http://www.xanax-effects.com /

Cätlyn said...

Wow, i really like it.. I also have schizophrenia and I write poems about it and life. http://klaiscat.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for that poem I understand completely it's like a war zone mental illness