The Author- Ashley

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
My name is Ashley and I am a lot of things, read this blog to learn more... Thank you for visiting my blog!

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Crisis Plan- Do You Have One?

I need to create a better crisis plan because my current plan involves me addressing concerns to my treatment team, which is also needed, but I should include some members of my support network into my crisis plan. I realized my crisis plan needed improvement when I  hesitated on a couple of questions, for example: "who do you want to make decisions for you in the event you can't?" This shows me that I need to sit down with a couple of individuals in my immediate circle to make sure they understand my preferences and how I would like to be treated in the event I need them to make decisions for me. 

Do you have a crisis plan? Are your supporters aware of your preferences in the event of a crisis?

To learn more about schizophrenia visit NAMI, Choices in Recovery, and Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia (Canada).

2 comments:

Chris said...

Everyone should create a psychiatric advance directive that is legally enforced in a number of states in the U.S.

Simply telling another person what you want them to do doesn't carry weight if have to be hospitalized.

A psychiatric advance directive allows you to create a mental healthcare proxy: a person you designate to make decisions for you if you're unable to tell the staff what treatment you will and will not accept.

You can create a psychiatric advance directive if you take the NAMI Peer to Peer education course.

I taught that class twice so that's how I created my own advance directive.

You can also create a psychiatric advance directive without attending the class.

Chris

Ashley Smith said...

Hi Chris,

I am familiar with Peer to Peer, however, I still need to create an advance directive. Thank you for your feedback!

Regards,
Ashley