Skip to main content

Reader Question#1 - February 2024

 Was there ever a time that you refused to take the meds and how did you finally decide to? 


Thank you asking me this question, because it's common and a great discussion. Initially, I refused medication simply because I didn't understand why? One day they started giving me pills. Without a warning, lesson, explanation, handout, or anything! Kinda like, here take this with this tiny paper cup of water and open your mouth to prove it. 


    It was routine in jail, but I wasn't required to take meds like everyone else before. Therefore, I refused. This worked until one day they threatened to get others involved to force medicate me and administer an injection. I challenged them. Do it! - Was my attitude. 


    Guards dressed like the S.W.A.T. team rushed in and restrained me. They were quite dramatic because at that point I didn't put up a fight and just laid there while they restrained me. Eventually, when I came out of being stuck and foggy, I caught on that I was required to take the medicine.


    Eventually, I was told my diagnosis (after the medication order was in place) and educated about it. I was hospitalized for  four months and required to engage in the classes, which did help. That was a state pyschiatric hospital in California. However, I've been hospitalized in Georgia too. They offered classes as well. 


    Education is vital. It should coincide with the administering of treatment. It is important to not only know your diagnosis but what that might look like in your circumstances. 


    When the doctor asked me about hallucinations I said no because I didn't understand what a hallucination was. I think he eventually asked about my voices but my voices told me stories about him. I didn't trust him, his intentions, nor connect in any way.


    However, I did open up and admit I heard voices to another doctor. He wore jeans opposed to slacks that made me feel more comfortable. He spoke to me in regular dialogue and not the fancy doctor jargon. He asked me about symptoms and provided examples while nodding his head up and down. I liked him because he was approachable.


    He led a class on medication. I can't recall the rest. But I do know that trust is vital to partnering with a mental health professional.


    Learning about your diagnosis is extremely important for you, your circle, and others. When people learn of your condition they might question you for understanding. It's helpful to share insight about how the diagnosis effects you- not a generic lesson that might not apply to you. That's why it's so important to understand yourself, warning signs, and triggers to inform your loved ones and friends how to better support you. 


    Ways to learn about your mental health includes an array of options. For example, support  groups. That way you  could relate to others, get  peer support, and know how to describe your experiences. Online education. At the hospital. Sessions with your provider and therapy. I encourage everyone to consider therapy because it is person-centered and you could learn practical coping skills.


    Therefore, to answer your question. Initially, I did refuse treatment. However, I was forced-medicated. While I received medication I was educated about my schizophrenia. After my hospitalization I continued my learning through a clubhouse for people living with either a  mental illness or substance abuse concerns.


    Yet, refusing treatment could be a response NOT to denial but avoiding the stigma around the label, schizophrenia. There are many reasons why an individual might refuse treatment. For example, the frustrating side effects such as weight gain, involuntary movements (tardive dyskinesia). Or, self-medicating with drugs- not wanting to mix it with treatment, etc. etc.


    Lastly, I didn't have anosognosia. A great resource to help manage it with a  loved one is reading Dr. Xavier Amador's book:  I AM NOT SICK I DON'T NEED HELP! HOW TO HELP SOMEONE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS ACCEPT TREATMENT.


Thank you, I welcome your questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with