The Author- Ashley

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
My name is Ashley and I am a lot of things, read this blog to learn more... Thank you for visiting my blog!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Peer-to-Peer Turnout

The Peer-to-Peer Orientation on Saturday had a great turnout. Fifteen people attended the event and nine people signed up for the course. During the event we had a group discussion on myths and misconceptions of mental illness. Almost everybody participated in the discussion which made me very happy. Also, I was able to share my story.

If you are interested in attending NAMI's Peer-to-Peer course you may participate in the first group meeting on January 30th at 1 pm. There are nine classes, the group is from 1-3pm. Location: at the cafe at 2001 Martin Luther King Drive, Atlanta, GA 30315. For more information contact me, Ashley, at 1-888-839-3191.

For more information on schizophrenia you may go to the following sites:

1) Embracing My Mind, Inc. (EMM)
2) National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
3) Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia (Canada)

3 comments:

Richard said...

You go girl! One common response I receive from individuals dealing with mental illness is why I have to call it that or why I mention the illness name in my work. I feel that the stigma is a reason for these comments but I would love to hear you write about this topic. Basically, I am trying to make these labels or words mundane just like cancer or diabetes so that the public will not cringe at the sound of these words. There was a time (according to my parents) when a family was not allowed to say cancer out loud. It was shameful. I think we need to TALK OPENLY about mental illness especially since it is SO misunderstood. Thanks!

Amber said...

SORRY, that comment above was from me, Amber-Gaining Insight. I was logged into google through work by mistake.

Valash said...

Thank you, Amber!