Skip to main content

Phase II The Bright Side of Schizophrenia (A Series): Embrace Your Mind

Now that we have discussed the myths, stereotypes, and fears associated with having schizophrenia it is time to talk about the good things associated with the illness. I am doing a series called Phase II The Bright Side, I will discuss positive attributes related to schizophrenia. You can help me with this series by submitting a success story of mental illness (i.e. bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia) in a 500 word or less essay/article, and email it to info@embracingmymind.org, and in the subject bar label it Success Story. You do not have to attach your full name to the article, but make sure you give your first name and state. Also, please give a title to your essay/article or one will be provided. The success story will be posted on the website Embracing My Mind.

Schizophrenia and Related Disorders Alliance of America (SARDAA) stated: "Studies have indicated that 25 percent of those having schizophrenia recover completely, [and] 50 percent are improved over a 10-year period..."

Understand that recovery is possible. If you or a loved one are concerned about a person who has schizophrenia, remember the facts and know that they can get better. For instance, I probably already shared this information with you, but a little less than a couple of years ago I experienced some really bad symptoms of schizophrenia to the extent that my mother thought she would need to get some sort of guardianship over me. I was catatonic, not moving my limbs for hours at a time, I refused visitors (family), and I stopped eating, showering, and speaking.

The judge said I was incompetent, and sent me to the state hospital. After my family encouraged my attorney to persuade the judge to mandate medication compliance, and was approved, I slowly but surely got better with medication and time. I started talking again, seeing family, taking care of personal hygiene, and living again!

Embrace your mind by re-learning yourself after diagnosis. Prior to my nervous breakdown I was involved in several activities- church, school, work, and cross country. However, after my diagnosis I had to learn to take things slow for a little while until I could readjust to overcoming schizophrenia. I took a break from a lot of things and slowly rearranged them into my schedule. I took a class in school and attended a day treatment program for young adults where I learned more about my illness. I even started volunteering and dating again. Now I am volunteering regularly and enjoying a new social life. Everybody is different so what worked for one person may not work for another.

Believe that there is a future after diagnosis. There is no cure for schizophrenia, yet, but there is treatment that enables a person to function well and live life. Again, SARDAA stated that 25 percent recover completely, in order words they do not experience symptoms anymore with the support of medication. If you have a mental illness, with treatment you can overcome anything you set your mind to.

Thank you for considering to join Phase II The Bright Side series by submitting a 500word or less essay/article by email to info@embracingmymind.org. To learn more about schizophrenia visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) or Schizophrenia Society of Novia Scotia (Canada). Check out my new forum at Embracing My Mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with