Skip to main content

Welcome Silence My Triumph Over Schizophrenia by Carol S. North, M.D.- A Great Read

Welcome Silence is a phenonmenal reading about an incredible woman. The author, Carol North, gives a fascinating description of what it is like to live with schizophrenia. She is incredible because in spite of her disease she manages to get through college and medical school.

I like the book because I can relate to the author. For example, North stresses that people can read her mind, I , too, have experienced this and wouldn't talk to people, because I felt that it wasn't necessary. Like North, I was catatonic and would stay in the same position for hours. After I got out of the catatonic stage doctors worried that I would go back into a catatonic state if they changed my medication as I had insisted with abilify. However, I was able to change my medication as I requested to abilify.

This book is an inspiration that I can complete college and live a productive life despite my illness. In addition, I would like to write a book about my experience. I strongly recommend Welcome Silence to people who want to learn more about the illness, and people living with schizophrenia. Therefore, check out Welcome Silence My Triumph Over Schizophrenia.

Comments

Momo said…
Thanks for the comment
Im not sure how else to comment you so i'll post it here.
Grasshopper is quite a character! sometimes he's independent and jumping on other things, other times he's craving attention and does anything to get it.
Would you mind pressing on the ads on my page a couple times? I get a small amount of money from it, and i will be getting grasshopper fixed so he can have a girlfriend. Thanks!
A.S. said…
Hi, it's very nice to also know that life goes on. I guess you just have to know how to work with whatever situations you have in your life. You just have to learn the new you. It's nice to hear of others success stories. I look forward to more blogs from you.

Popular posts from this blog

Buddhism, My Mental Health & My Happiness by Jennifer L. Myers

Jennifer L. Myers is author of the blog, Never Give Up: Buddhism, Family, & Schizophrenia . Jennifer earned her masters in Urban and Environmental Policy from Tufts University and her undergraduate from UC Santa Cruz. She has experience working with the U.S. Peace corps in the Dominic Republic, environmental non-profits, and teaching. Currently, she is working on her memoir, Never Give Up: Buddhism, Family, & Schizophrenia. The following is her experience... Buddhism, My Mental Health & Happiness by Jennifer L. Myers When I was first diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2002 I had already been practicing Buddhism with the SGI (Soka Gakkai International) for 14 years. Still, I didn't have a very strong practice at the time. I attended local discussion meetings regularly, but I didn't spend much time chanting on a daily basis. It wasn't until the symptoms of schizophrenia - the voices whispering in my head, the screaming and yelling I heard outside my apartm...

Lack of Trust: A Byproduct of My Mental Illness

In this entry, I'll share my experiences with Schizophrenia in regards to feeling lack of trust in others, paranoia, and isolation.... I remember my many episodes with Schizophrenia where I felt uneasy because of lack of trust in others. In the past, isolation was a giant bullying me around. Sometimes my mind would take me to a place of fear, hurt, and an unsettling spirit, which started with what seemed like a strange look, or a different feeling around an individual, when in reality it was another symptom of my undiagnosed illness- paranoia. My paranoia was rampant and dictated my life prior to experiencing a crisis, which led me to jail and into forced treatment and to receive an official diagnosis of Schizophrenia in 2007. In other words, my illness created enemies in my mind. For instance, I once believed my favorite kin was against me and I felt like she wanted me to fail, and I eventually thought she was conspiring to harm me. However, she never said anything to imply these ...

Fear to Openness about Medication

I am concerned that I may be slipping into depression that may get worse if untreated. Prior to the birth of my child I never had a bout with depression, but as my body changed so did my hormones and my susceptibility to depression. A few months ago I was diagnosed with postpartum depression and at the time I knew I needed extra support from my my treatment team. I knew I needed to focus on my mental health because my anxiety level was up and down, it was difficult to concentrate, and I felt extremely overwhelmed and afraid my mental illness would rear its ugly head and try to destroy my recovery accomplishments. I spoke my therapist who contacted my doctor and let them know I was coming in the next morning as a walk-in, which I did and we tweaked my medication. Now, its hard to focus and to carry out minor assignments, sometimes I feel anxious for no reason, I am extremely tired and sleep more than usual, and I feel like I am on a downward spiral. Yet, I have reason to be. I have ...