Skip to main content

How is Schizophrenia Portrayed in Media

Last week's Colorado theater shooting tragedy. When I first heard about this incident I assumed media and the public would identify schizophrenia; a brain disorder characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and other symptoms loosely categorized as either negative symptoms, positive symptoms or cognitive symptoms. Schizophrenia, schizophrenia- the media is doctor and authority over correct diagnosis of individuals and their actions, overnight- I am NOT surprised! Immediately, I understood the consequences- STIGMA- shame, fear, and suffering in silence, for individuals living with this medical condition and for their families and loved ones. Initially, I did not want to address the issue because I know how it will manifest in media and ultimately in the eyes of the United States society and beyond. Remember the Arizona shooting- "schizophrenia" was immediately suspected... To me, schizophrenia- the scapegoat for horrific crimes and everything negative, in media! Sigh... So disheartening.

Well, media needs to also publicize individuals living with the medical condition in a REAL life manner- holding jobs of diverse capacities- and higher educational degrees, and wonderful talents; John Nash, Elyn Saks, Nathaniel Ayers, etc., being family-oriented, respecting laws, supporting self and peers, volunteering, managing recovery, and living NORMAL lives... Let me share with you a positive story- the one not mentioned in the headlines- about three individuals coping with schizophrenia; visit www.choicesinrecovery.com to watch the short documentary, LIVING WITH SCHIZOPHRENIA: A CALL FOR HOPE AND RECOVERY... I apologize to my peers and their families for what they are enduring as a result the Colorado theater shooting; the blame game, fear, embarrassment, and SILENCE. But there is HOPE. When we open dialogue about mental illness and educate ourselves, we are breaking the cycle of stigma- please, please educate yourself and know the truth about schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, NOT the fast-selling gossip and myths!


To learn more about schizophrenia visit Embracing My Mind, NAMI, Choices in Recovery, Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia (Canada).

Comments

The Blue Morpho said…
This is an excellent post. You say "Well, media needs to also publicize individuals living with the medical condition in a REAL life manner" - I agree. It will be an uphill run, though, to get media to realize the benefits of putting out a balanced story (on any issue.) I applaud your efforts in getting people to understand. Personal blogs are one way we can get the real story out there, and not bend to anyone's agenda.
Adventures in Anxiety Land
Anonymous said…
I know whenever something like this happens I fear they will be mentally ill and what the public will make of it. The stigma and fear seem understandable in ways but it gets made into more than the reality of it. The number of mentally ill people who do violent acts are very small but the public doesn't often know or hear that. Information and education are the only way we can have everyone be a vital part of the world.
Anonymous said…
I have dealt with my schitzoprenia over the years. Truth is alot of people dont understand it because they (as stated above) believe what is said by the media and by gossip. Education is the key to fair treatment for those of use with unique mental abilities. How many people really want to treat us fairly is undetermined. Nontheless; i will not be ashamed of who i am because i have no reason to be. But those who claim that it is the reason for violent acts and those who treat us unjust should be ashamed.
Amy Karon said…
I echo your call for media to provide a more balanced treatment of people living with schizophrenia. Media outlets that only focus on violence undermine people's attempts to recover and contribute to social isolation and stigma.

I wrote about this topic about a year ago and provided examples of more balanced media coverage -- you can read more here. http://psychscoop.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/schizophrenia-medias-distorted-lens/
Kerry Kuskopf said…
I actually disagree. I know that stereotyping people is not good. If it's true that somebody who commits a crime has a psychotic illness, though, they deserve to be treated in a manner that takes their psychiatric condition into account. Others also deserve to know what schizophrenia can come to. I don't think admitting that violence is sometimes part and parcel of schizophrenia is a necessarily a negative thing, especially if it encourages people to quit with this apathy they seem to sometimes have about getting delusional people to treatment when they need it. If it is true that it takes a little self-interest/fear to get people motivated, then that's what it takes. Really, it's not so important what state of mind (diagnosis-wise) the killer was in at the time when he did this. The important thing is that it would have been better if clues as to his state of mind had been recognised before this terrible tragedy occurred so that it could have been prevented.
Momofthree said…
I suggest WE ALL GET INVOLVED with Treatment Advocacy Center. Org. There are many easy ways that we as individuals can join together and teach the world in wonderful, peaceful ways that mental illness is better and more hopeful than what the media typically portrays. We have hope!!! Mental illness is treatable!!! It is NOT a death sentence!!! Keep the Faith, Cindy

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with