Skip to main content

Therapy Builds Self-Awareness and Relationships

When I was diagnosed with my mental health condition over 11 years ago I did not understand what to expect.  It is better to maintain healthy relationships, in order, to maneuver life's difficult courses to reach one's destination, potential, and dreams.

Strengthening relationships is important. Therefore, maintaining communication and needs in the relationship with your partner is vital. However, an individual must understand, and know themselves first. Peers should identify triggers, coping skills, and needs, in order, to keep well-balanced relationships. A trigger is an event that creates negative attitude, actions, and consequences. Coping skills are activities, which helps individuals manage symptoms, and situations, such coping skills include: exercising, creative expressions through journal, drawing, painting, music, etc. Over time in recovery, I realized how awareness of my condition helps me maintain a healthier relationship with my partner.

As a partner, advocate, and spiritual person, I realize knowing oneself is important in all aspects of life, especially to maintain a healthier relationship with my partner. In short, experience teaches me how lack of familiarity with the signs, symptoms, and coping skills within myself may lead to unnecessary concerns within the relationships I value the most. If I am not familiar with my diagnosis, and its concerns I may unknowingly present as irritable, moody, and difficult when triggered by stressful situations. One-on-one therapy helps me become more aware of my condition, needs, and demands, in order, to gain experience managing personal relationships, and life.

Participating in therapy teaches strategies to learn, cope with triggers, and to manage my relationship with self and partner better. I'll share three tips to utilize, in order, to get the most from therapy sessions, which may help peers and others prosper in self-awareness, and relationships.

First, my therapist elaborated on information, which I did not understand after speaking with my doctor. In the past I hesitated, and struggled to accept new medication out of fear of the effect it would have on me. I appreciate my therapist who helped me anticipate potential side effects related to my new anti-depressants. I wanted wellness, and was willing to accept traditional treatment or medication, but not the unknown. In order words, I delayed treatment, because I did not know what side effects to expect from my new medication. I shared fears of new treatment with my therapist who calmed me by sharing awareness on common side effects of anti-depressants. Afterwards, I accepted my new medication.

Second, keeping a journal can help peers, like me, and the therapist identify patterns. Writing is a significant coping skill for me. Writing helps me articulate ideas, record events, and offers self-awareness. Once, a therapist suggested I share my journal entries in our session for more insight. This was a great strategy, because it further helped me express myself as I freely do in my journal. Moreover, writing clears my mind. In fact, I have many journals, such as a journal for reading books, daily agendas, and self-reflections; thus, my therapist recommended I start another journal for my therapy, a “mood journal.”

Third, my therapist helped me develop ways to manage my diagnosis, and relationships by reflecting on patterns. After discussing mood swings, and its impact on past intimate relationships my therapist recommended I maintain a mood journal. The mood journal helps us learn more about my triggers and its impact on my mood. As in the doctor's office physicians may ask one's level of pain based on a scale of 1 to 10. Number one generally means no pain, and number 10 means an individual feels a lot of pain. Instead of using a numbered scale, I chose a color coded scale based on my child's color coded behavior system in elementary school. 

Accordingly, “pink” signifies an excellent day, “purple” a great day, “blue” a good day, and “green” is ready to learn. The colors; yellow, orange, and red illustrate escalating poor behavior. Likewise, I started my mood journal and share it with my therapist. My mood journal is a great method into identifying patterns, triggers, and thus, self-awareness. My mood journal is a means to further develop self-awareness and to enhance relationships by being mindful of myself and my needs.

Finally, my experience in therapy helps me develop self-awareness, and relationships with others. Whenever I work on myself in therapy I generally see positive results in my satisfaction with relationships, especially with my partner. Therefore, I encourage peers to engage in therapy for wellness, relationship with partner, and with self.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with