Skip to main content

Take Things Slow

Prior to my diagnosis of schizophrenia I was very active in school and extracurricular activities. I played a role in cross country, an internship, AWANA church program for youth, and school. Eventually, my illness interrupted my studies and I was forced to drop out of school temporarily due to the stresses of school, finances, and life changes. I worked for a little while until my illness took that opportunity away from me too when I had a nervous breakdown.

When my illness was made known, everybody (i.e. psychiatrist, therapist, mother, treatment team) suggested that I make a change and to take things slow for a little while. Therefore, I did not work for the first year after my diagnosis, and I applied for Supplemental Security Income. In the meantime I participated in a clubhouse for young adults and I was fortunate to return to school for one class.

Making the change was challenging for me, because I am used to juggling so many different activities. After it is said and done, I am glad I took a break. I had the opportunity to learn me all over again.

Now it has almost been two years this summer since my diagnosis. I am getting back into the hang of things. I plan on completing the marketing internship I am currently involved in, and going back to school part-time soon.

If you have recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia I strongly encourage you to take things slow until you feel comfortable doing the things you used to do again. However, I am no doctor so I also want you to talk to your doctor before making any sudden changes such as working again. Taking things slow really worked for me initially after my diagnosis and for my recovery, it may work for you too, give it a try.

Comments

As Lovers Go said…
I really enjoy your blog. My brother has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia, takes his meds, but refuses to talk about it. Canada's mental health care system lacks and he is struggling. You are amazing
Anonymous said…
I'm not a newcomer to SZA, but your advice to go slow is sound advice. I was 17 my first "break." I had to build myself from a young age. I didn't have the opportunity to go slow. Back then, the "system" pushed and pushed. I'm glad they did, because I surely needed it.

I read somewhere that even the slug made it to the ARK.

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with