Skip to main content

In Honor of World Schizophrenia Day

World Schizophrenia Day, May 24, 2020
There is a universal unspoken code that negates the truth about schizophrenia, it is stigma. Stigma comes in a wide range of negative beliefs that uphold myths as facts. As an individual living with schizophrenia I experienced stigma first-hand.  It was hurtful and unfair. I have been labelled "demonic." One of the most common questions I get from men I date when I decide to disclose is "are you violent?" 

Stigma translates into fear, discrimination, negative labels, and ignorant beliefs. Countless persons do not understand what schizophrenia is and do not know what recovery can look like and thus, continue to place me and my peers into a box with limitations. Stigma is perpetuated by different groups especially some religious people, world wide influential platforms such as Hollywood, and a magnitude of people all over the world. 

There are several myths about schizophrenia, here are the most common:
  1. Myth #1: Schizophrenia is a personality disorder.
  2. Myth #2: Violence is a symptom of schizophrenia.
  3. Myth #3: People with this illness are demonic.
  4. Myth #4: Schizophrenia is caused by poor parenting.
  5. Myth #5: Recovery is not possible for people living with this condition.
Let me stress that these are myths. First, the term schizophrenia was coined by a Swiss psychiatrist, Dr. Paul Eugen Bleuler, in 1910. The word schizophrenia means, "a split mind." Schizophrenia is not a personality disorder. Schizophrenia is a thought disorder.

Violence is not a symptom of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia holds a range of symptoms categorized by positive symptoms, disorganized symptoms, and negative symptoms, while violence is not a part of any of these symptoms. Schizophrenia is characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and psychosis among other symptoms.

Schizophrenia is not a moral-based diagnosis. Schizophrenia is a brain disorder. It is an invisible medical condition that means a chemical imbalance of the brain. It is caused by different factors such as environmental stressors, a brain injury, it  is also genetic and runs in families. Schizophrenia can be brought on by drug use, trauma, and other causes. Typically, the onset of this condition occurs in adolescence through age 30. However, it can develop in children. Generally, men get the illness earlier than women. Personally, I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at age 20.

Finally, recovery is possible for individuals living with this diagnosis. I am the evidence. I have been in recovery for over 13 years. I am fortunate that the medication treatments work and minimize symptoms. I live independently and parent my eight year old son.

Today is World Schizophrenia Day (May 24th). It honors "the father of modern psychiatry," a French physician, Dr. Philippe Pinel. On May 24, 1793, Dr. Pinel made the decision to unchain patients living with mental illness, which was unheard of during that time. His decision brought attention to better treatment, care, and a more humane way of addressing people living with mental illness. However, stigma was prevalent then and still is today.

Organizations such as the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), and Schizophrenia and Related Disorders Alliance of America (SARDAA), work tirelessly to combat stigma along with several other groups and organizations.

Like so many of my peers the onset of my diagnosis was chaotic. It effected my entire family, we did not know what we were dealing with nor understand how proceed along the journey of recovery. It effected my education during the third year of my undergraduate program. I did not know what the symptoms were and that I was experiencing them until it was too late. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia through legal interventions of jail and state psychiatric hospital. Through this experience I learned about my mental illness, tried different medications, and fortunately found hope to excel at recovery. I had an enthusiastic doctor, amazing cheerleader- my mother and empathetic relatives, who were thirsty to learn more about schizophrenia and to support me. NAMI Georgia paved the way for me to learn coping strategies with the aid of volunteering, peer support, and training.

If you or somebody you know lives with schizophrenia, or any mental illness, I encourage you to obtain more information about it. Get involved in a support group or clubhouse to become familiar the recovery culture through peer support or interact with persons living in recovery. Medication is not the only means to gain a quality life in recovery. 

Here are alternative ways to help cope with mental health: therapy, music, art, supplements, Buddhism, mindfulness, journalling, taking care of a pet, mastering a gift and hobby, exercise, meditation, praise and worship, adopting a support system, and volunteering, and managing a strict self-care routine to list a few coping techniques.

If you have a mental illness, you are not alone. Recovery is possible. I define recovery as the act of striving to stay in good place. I stay in my good place by mastering my self-care routine, medication, therapy, engaging my support system, working on my craft of self-publishing books, listening to motivational talks, and keeping it moving physically by walking. I praise God for restoring my mind, allowing me to have access to health insurance and medication, also for my life journey of recovery which is fulfilling. My recovery has challenged me beyond measure, but also developed me into the compassionate advocate, peer, and mother that I am proud to be.

Finally, to learn more about my recovery story purchase my book, What's On My Mind? Coping Takes Work, Volume II, which is a collection of blog entries, and additional stories by my peers, a caregiver, and my former therapist.

Lastly, here are my sources on facts of schizophrenia and World Schizophrenia Day:
Please subscribe to this blog by email and share with others. Also, if you want to share your recovery story- peers, professionals, and caregivers, and supporters, email me to learn more and lets post it on this blog. 

-Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with