Skip to main content

Guest Blogger: 7 Things to Stop Doing to Make Life More Manageable With Schizophrenia

The following article was written by a guest blogger, Adam C. He has written a lot of content for us over the years. Here's another insightful reading to enhance your self-care...


People living with schizophrenia can improve their day-to-day quality of life by reducing habits and situations that create unnecessary stress, disrupt routines, or interfere with treatment. Schizophrenia can affect thinking, motivation, relationships, and everyday functioning, but effective treatment can help people pursue work, education, independence, and fulfilling relationships. 

The goal isn't to reinvent yourself overnight. Often, a better personal life starts by identifying what is making an already demanding day harder—and doing less of it.

The Short Version

Start with subtraction. Stop treating every difficult thought as a fact, sacrificing sleep for an inconsistent schedule, neglecting meals, remaining completely isolated, and expecting yourself to function at maximum capacity every day. Most importantly, don't stop or change prescribed medication on your own. 

Stop Letting Negative Thoughts Run the Entire Day

A difficult morning does not have to become a verdict on your life.
Thoughts such as “I can't do anything right” can make setbacks feel permanent. Instead of forcing yourself to “think positive,” try something more concrete: question whether an unhelpful thought deserves your full attention.

Identifying and challenging negative or unhelpful thoughts is one component of self-care. That doesn't mean dismissing schizophrenia symptoms or trying to reason yourself out of psychosis. Concerning changes in symptoms should be discussed with your treatment team.

Five Things Worth Putting Down

Some habits quietly increase the amount of work required simply to get through a day. Consider reducing or stopping:
  • Skipping meals and relying on whatever is convenient. Regular, balanced meals and adequate hydration can support energy and focus. 
  • Staying up at wildly different hours. Sleep disruption can accompany worsening psychosis, while maintaining a sleep routine is a standard self-care recommendation. 
  • Automatically saying yes to everything. Setting priorities and saying no when you're overloaded can help manage stress. 
  • Cutting yourself off from everyone. Staying connected to trusted friends or relatives can provide emotional and practical support. 
  • Comparing your progress with someone else's. Schizophrenia varies considerably among individuals. Your useful benchmark is your own functioning, goals, and treatment plan.

When Work Is Draining More Than It Gives

Stop assuming that enduring severe job burnout indefinitely is proof of strength. Long-term work stress can affect well-being, and psychotherapy is one option used to address severe or persistent stress related to work and other areas of life. If your job is becoming unmanageable, discuss practical options with people you trust and, where appropriate, your treatment team rather than making a major decision during a period of worsening symptoms.

Education can also create another route forward. An online degree may offer flexibility for someone who wants to develop career skills while balancing other responsibilities. For people considering business careers, a master's in business administration can develop skills in leadership, strategic planning, financial management, and data-driven decision-making that apply across different business environments; prospective students can read the key points about one online MBA program.

Replace the Habit, Not Just the Intention

Stop doing this

Try this instead

Practical result

Letting bedtime drift every night

Create a repeatable sleep window

More predictable routine

Skipping meals

Plan a few simple, regular meals

Less daily decision-making

Taking on everything

Choose today's essential tasks

More manageable workload

Disappearing socially

Contact one trusted person

Maintains connection

Ignoring treatment concerns

Write them down for your provider

Creates a concrete discussion


These aren't treatments for schizophrenia. They're ways to make ordinary life less chaotic while continuing appropriate professional care.

A Small Reset You Can Actually Finish

Rather than changing seven things simultaneously, use this checklist for the next week:

☐ Choose one habit that is causing problems.

☐ Identify the smallest realistic replacement behavior.

☐ Make the replacement specific: “I'll eat breakfast by 9:30” is clearer than “I'll eat better.”

☐ Ask a trusted person for help if the change is difficult to maintain.

☐ Notice whether sleep, stress, energy, or daily functioning changes.

☐ Bring significant symptom changes or treatment concerns to your health care provider.

Small goals matter. Schizophrenia can involve reduced motivation and difficulty maintaining routine activities, so a modest plan that you can repeat may be more useful than an ambitious overhaul you cannot sustain.

One Reliable Place to Check Health Information

When advice online becomes confusing, go back to a source with clearly identified medical information. The National Institute of Mental Health schizophrenia resource explains symptoms, medication, psychosocial treatments, coordinated specialty care, and ways to find help. NIMH notes that schizophrenia treatment is focused not only on symptoms but also on everyday functioning and personal goals. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I stop taking medication if I feel better?
Not without speaking with your health care provider, who can help monitor side effects and safely adjust treatment. 

Do I need to quit my job if it stresses me out?
Not necessarily. Consider the severity and persistence of the stress, possible accommodations or changes, and your financial and personal circumstances. Supported employment is also among the psychosocial services used to help people with schizophrenia pursue work goals. 

What if everyday tasks suddenly become much harder?
A meaningful change in sleep, self-care, thinking, communication, or ability to function deserves attention. Contact your health care provider, particularly when changes intensify or persist. 

Make Life Lighter, Not Perfect

Improving life with schizophrenia does not require becoming a completely different person. Keep treatment decisions connected to qualified professionals, and build changes around the life you actually want to live. If you are in crisis or thinking about harming yourself, call or text 988 in the United States; call 911 for a life-threatening emergency. 

Resources

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buddhism, My Mental Health & My Happiness by Jennifer L. Myers

Jennifer L. Myers is author of the blog, Never Give Up: Buddhism, Family, & Schizophrenia . Jennifer earned her masters in Urban and Environmental Policy from Tufts University and her undergraduate from UC Santa Cruz. She has experience working with the U.S. Peace corps in the Dominic Republic, environmental non-profits, and teaching. Currently, she is working on her memoir, Never Give Up: Buddhism, Family, & Schizophrenia. The following is her experience... Buddhism, My Mental Health & Happiness by Jennifer L. Myers When I was first diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2002 I had already been practicing Buddhism with the SGI (Soka Gakkai International) for 14 years. Still, I didn't have a very strong practice at the time. I attended local discussion meetings regularly, but I didn't spend much time chanting on a daily basis. It wasn't until the symptoms of schizophrenia - the voices whispering in my head, the screaming and yelling I heard outside my apartm...

Lack of Trust: A Byproduct of My Mental Illness

In this entry, I'll share my experiences with Schizophrenia in regards to feeling lack of trust in others, paranoia, and isolation.... I remember my many episodes with Schizophrenia where I felt uneasy because of lack of trust in others. In the past, isolation was a giant bullying me around. Sometimes my mind would take me to a place of fear, hurt, and an unsettling spirit, which started with what seemed like a strange look, or a different feeling around an individual, when in reality it was another symptom of my undiagnosed illness- paranoia. My paranoia was rampant and dictated my life prior to experiencing a crisis, which led me to jail and into forced treatment and to receive an official diagnosis of Schizophrenia in 2007. In other words, my illness created enemies in my mind. For instance, I once believed my favorite kin was against me and I felt like she wanted me to fail, and I eventually thought she was conspiring to harm me. However, she never said anything to imply these ...

Fear to Openness about Medication

I am concerned that I may be slipping into depression that may get worse if untreated. Prior to the birth of my child I never had a bout with depression, but as my body changed so did my hormones and my susceptibility to depression. A few months ago I was diagnosed with postpartum depression and at the time I knew I needed extra support from my my treatment team. I knew I needed to focus on my mental health because my anxiety level was up and down, it was difficult to concentrate, and I felt extremely overwhelmed and afraid my mental illness would rear its ugly head and try to destroy my recovery accomplishments. I spoke my therapist who contacted my doctor and let them know I was coming in the next morning as a walk-in, which I did and we tweaked my medication. Now, its hard to focus and to carry out minor assignments, sometimes I feel anxious for no reason, I am extremely tired and sleep more than usual, and I feel like I am on a downward spiral. Yet, I have reason to be. I have ...