Skip to main content

I Am Not Fragile

There are times when I do tell people, for whatever reason, that I have schizophrenia. Their first response is to ask if I need accommodation...can I handle it...is this situation too stressful for me. Relatives do this out of love and because they do not understand the illness. They do not understand that the medicine helps me think more clearly and behave like my old self, before the onset of schizophrenia. People sometimes ask if our conversation is irritating me or if it triggers symptoms. Some people think I am sensitive or fragile to life's demands...

Just because someone has an illness does not mean they have to feel like they can't walk this way, talk this way, do it that way, or keep distance!!

I am no more fragile than the next person! I have emotions, hardships, and setbacks like everyone else. I make mistakes too. In fact, I like challenges, and take criticism well and use it to improve who I am.

Yes, I do get stressed like everyone else, yes, I do get my feelings hurt, like everyone else. There are techniques, strategies and styles that I learn to adapt to so that I can deal with certain issues. I believe that having a mental illness makes me more aware of things. Everyone experiences certain things in life but don't often take the time to analyze it, think about it, and often times take too long to even begin to fix it! I am forced to do so because of the fact that I have been diagnosed, and am on medication.

Comments

Elizabeth A. said…
I feel ya. I won't break, but I will admit, if I don't get my rest then things could spiral downwards. So I've had to learn to excuse myself to bed if guests ever stay really late, and most our friends get that.
Anonymous said…
have just found your blog...i like it a lot so will link it on mine and come often for a nosey :)

take care x
Wanderer said…
Hi Valash,

I suffer from schizophrenia and depression and I see my illness as a disability, a handicap, not a personal failing. And as a handicapped person in some areas I need special attention or help. I need basic things such as medication, therapy, a support group, some creative outlet. I may need help with food, housing, and transportation or with education and vocational training. The truth is people with schizophrenia vary widely in what they can and can't do.

But you are young, smart and resilient and there is no reason why you shouldn't cultivate the attitude to be as capable as or even more capable than people who do not suffer from this mental illness. Still, there is no shame in being fragile and you should allow for such times in people's lives and in your life.

Best Wishes,

Kate

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with