Skip to main content

Schizophrenia: Being Aware...

"Do you see shadows or catch glimpses of people following you?"..."Have you had head trauma?"..."Do you sometimes have jumbled or confused thoughts?"...Is it hard for you to have a conversation?"..."Is it hard for you to pay attention for long periods of time?"..."Do some colors bother you?"..."Have people told you that you don't show emotion in your facial expression or voice?..."Were you sexually abused as a child?"..."Will you read this paragraph for me, and answer these questions?"


I was oblivious to the fact these questions would lead the doctors to my final diagnosis. After a couple of weeks in the hospital, and several tests, later the doctor sat me down and told me that I have schizophrenia. He said this explains the paranoia and other symptoms I had been experiencing.

Awareness is one of the first steps to overcoming a mental illness. Most of the time awareness of a mental illness is initiated by an outside party. A friend once told me I need to see a psychologist. At the time I was not aware of an issue and did not take my friend seriously. In another incidence, a complete stranger told me I look disoriented and confused, and asked me if I needed help.

First, the family member or friend should make sure they create or maintain a trusting relationship with the patient. You may be that person's eyes. Be very observant, in a subtle kind of a way. At some point there could be a very harsh reality (occurrence) where you will be an intricate part of the doctor's analysis.

The family member of the individual living with schizophrenia will go through an emotional roller coaster. In the beginning my mother knew something was wrong, but she did not know what. At first she thought it was PMS. She would ask me if I was on my period when she noticed my demeanor changed. In response to her question I got very offended and did not take her concern seriously. Consequently, I faced a harsh reality when I ended up in a jail cell after I got involved in a high speed chase with the police in a stolen military truck. In jail, I was uncooperative and unlike my usual self. My social worker, attorney, and nurse pulled my family aside for questioning about my personality and background. My family played an intricate role in unveiling the real me. They told officials what my interest and goals were.

Second, a family member or a friend should keep a journal, preferably on the computer in order to make copies, or hand-written -- any way that's comfortable for you. The purpose of the journal is to keep an account the patient's symptoms and behaviors,which will be very helpful when sharing with health professionals. The journal should include dates of admission into the hospital or other treatment facilities. Last, but not least, entries that describe the patient's behavior, reaction to treatment, and improvement. The types of medication prescribed should also be included in the journal.

After I was in jail and in the hospital my mother kept a journal of every official she came into contact with. She recorded names, conversations, and resources for schizophrenia.

Third, find a good psychiatrist, not just a psychologist or therapist, but someone who specializes in schizophrenia. It is better if you get a recommendation from another family experiencing the same thing you are going through. You can find another family, to get a referral from, at a support group such as NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness, http://www.nami.org/).

In my case, we went to the county mental health clinic for help. There my therapist and psychiatrist interviewed me. They asked me questions about my background and family medical history. There we also discovered classes for patients to discuss symptoms and to learn how to cope with the illness.

Again, to bring about awareness and to eventually overcome denial of schizophrenia, be observant, keep a journal, and get connected with a great support system in order to find a good psychiatrist.

What has been a useful tool in finally bringing about awareness of a close one's illness? What signals did you notice that seemed out of the norm and encouraged you to seek help?

Resources:

Comments

Laura said…
Once again a very informative post. This could help so many people.
kw said…
Good job!

You have written about a very difficult, personal time, but have managed to in a clear and informative way. You have such a fierce strength. You will go far!
HektikLyfe said…
Great post. I will try to find a way to promote this post without offending the people I am showing it to.

They might think I am hinting at something.

In all seriousness, this post was very interesting. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
I answered 4 of those questions with yes and that kind of got me a bit worried now.
I am currently seeing a therapist (she's a trainee though) and had my session yesterday. She said tehre's been a definete improvement.
Am I silly to be worrying now?
Ashley Smith said…
HektikLyfe,
Thank you for being a faithful supporter of this blog.

Vivienne,
The questions I listed were examples of some the questions doctors may ask. There are a whole lot of other questions they may ask on a psych exam. I am no doctor, so talk to a psychiatrist to see if you are at risk, that's good that you stay alert and are proactive.

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with