Skip to main content

Medication For Schizophrenia

I am not a doctor but I know that medication is essential in treating schizophrenia, along with therapy and support. Before I go into this subject of medication, I strongly recommend that you talk to a psychiatrist about any treatment for schizophrenia, you may try a few different antpsychotic drugs, like I did, until you find the right one.

This illness is like diabetes and needs continuous treatment, there is no cure. The medication relieves some of the positive, negative, and cognitive symptoms, however, some people can still experience symptoms while on medication.

To gain insight into some of the symptoms of schizophrenia refer to an older post called "Types of Symptoms," which can be found in September 2008. With treatment a person with schizophrenia is (http://www.helpguide.org/mental/schizophrenia_treatment_support.htm):
  • Less likely to have frequent or lengthy hospitalizations
  • Less likely to require intensive support at home
  • Less likely to abuse alcohol or drugs
  • Less likely to commit suicide
  • More likely to live and work independently
  • More likely to enjoy satisfying relationships


So then why do people with schizophrenia stop taking their medication. One of the most common reasons is that people forget. In fact, I have forgotten to take my medication a few times, however, I took it as soon as I remembered. In group a little while ago we discussed some of the reasons why people stop taking their medication, and this is what we came up with:

  • They are in denial that they have a mental illness
  • They think they don't need the medication because they feel better
  • The harsh side effects such as tardive dyskinesia or abnormal involuntary movements (usually in the hands, feet, tongue, or lips), akathisia or restlessness, muscle stiffness, tremors
  • They have simply run out of medication
  • They can't afford the medication


Here are some medications that treat schizophrenia (these are just a few, there are a whole lot more...) (http://www.schizophrenia.com/meds.html#atypical):

  • Stelazine (Trifluoperazine)
  • Flupenthixol (Fluanxol)
  • Loxapine (Loxapac, Loxitane)
  • Perphenazine (Etrafon, Trilafon)
  • Chlorpromazine (Thorazine)
  • Haldol (Haloperidol)
  • Prolixin (Fluphenazine Decanoate, Modecate, Permitil)
  • Aripiprazole (Abilify)
  • Clozapine (Clozaril)
  • Resperidone (Risperdal)
  • Seroquel (Quetiapine)
  • Zyprexia (Olanzapine)
  • Geodon (Ziprasidone)
  • Risperdal (resperidone)

Personally, I've tried Zyprexa, Geodon, and Abilify. I experienced various side effects for each one such as akathisia (feeling of restlessness), restless legs, hunger, and stiffness. However, side effects could have been worse. Taking antipsychotic drugs could also lead to weight gain, tremors, sleepiness, diabetes, tardive dyskinesia (involuntary movement of the lips, hands, feet, and tongue), and the list of side effects goes on.

As you know everybody was not made the same, therefore, one drug that works for Sally may not work for Bob. Doctors prescribe specific drugs depending on a lot of things such as medical history. For example, some drugs are more prone to cause diabetes, therefore, people with family history of diabetes will most likely be presecribed a different drug.

I am not an expert, talk to your psychiatrist about the right drug for you or a loved one.

If you have a mental illness and do not mind sharing, which drug do you take and what are the side effects?

Comments

Hi, I have schizophrenia. Both my parents are schizophrenic as well. They both take Risperdal. I have been on Risperdal and when I got sick about a year ago I was on Clozipine which caused massive weight gain. Then I was put on Risperdal injections and now I am on Invega. I don't really notice any side effects except for an inability to lose weight.

Cheers

Cheryl
Ashley Smith said…
Thank you for sharing, Cheryl.
I Am Who I Am said…
Well, as you already know, (I think), I have bi-polar disorder. This time last year I was incapable of functioning. I was on...are you ready? Risperdal, clozipine, seroquel, xanax, trazadone AND depokote. I took 14 pills a day and literally could not stay awake. I would pass out during my daughters cheerleading practice. I blew up like a balloon. (247 pounds)

In March I signed myself into the hospital and told them they had to do something because the meds weren't working. I was still up and down all day. Couldn't sleep like a normal person and couldn't function well enough to take care of my kids.

They prescribed MORE medicine.

When I got out of the hospital I quit taking it all. Flushed it. Started meditating and writing and although I still have bad days I function much better.

I DON'T THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA FOR MOST PEOPLE. It's just what's working for me right now. I'm very aware that I may end up in such a severe episode that I have no choice but to go back on meds. I'm just praying that I can find a better doctor who isn't going to overdose me before then.

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with