Skip to main content

Do You Feel Challenged?

Now that you have schizophrenia do you feel challenged? My step-father asked me this earlier today.

The issue with having schizophrenia is that you are constantly concerned with the fear of having a relapse and being sent back to the hospital. Or having recurring symptoms that make it hard for you to function, despite medication compliance.

Schizophrenia is a challenge, however, I turn it into motivation. Schizophrenia makes me take things more slowly compared to past activities and/or events, however, I still believe I can fulfill goals. I do not limit myself or stigmatize myself because of the illness. However, I do acknowledge I have an illness and find ways to cope with it. For example, people with schizophrenia frequently display flat emotion. Accordingly, I try to be more vocal about my feelings.

I believe everyone has an issue or challenge whether it be an addiction, a medical ailment, a mental disorder, a personality disorder, or problems with relationships and family, and so on; nobody is perfect. I still push myself to be independent to an extent and to take a part in the community. For instance, my goal is to complete college. I will carry out this goal, but it will take a little longer because I will have to go to school part-time, or less than part-time in order for the course load not to trigger symptoms.

I strongly believe I can overcome this illness with medication compliance, therapy, and support. Without these elements I would not be able to do half the things I am doing now. In other words, I feel challenged, but not as much as a result of the treatments I am taking advantage of. I will turn this ordeal around to work in my favor. I know that if I perform too many activities at once it could lead to unnecessary stress, and that would lead to symptoms returning. Therefore, I will take baby steps with everything I do, while returning to school, doing my marketing internship, and living life.

What challenges do you face?

Comments

Laura said…
You have a great attitude!
kw said…
I love the way you are taking care of yourself. It took me until I was in my mid thirties to try that route!

You will succeed, because you have a great outlook and insight.

It's taken me so long to realize that I need to go at a pace that won't wear me down. Rushing is the best way for me to get sick again.

You go, girl!
glenellynboy said…
i have a theory of mental illness. i discuss it on my blog: http://gettingyourbusiness.blogspot.com
Wanderer said…
Hi Valash,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I just discovered your blog last week. I think you have a great attitude and because of it I'm sure you will do well in school and get your degree, but you are right, go slow and steady, don't overdo. That's how I got my degree. So take advantage of the help you can get, i.e. meds, therapy, support groups, art therapy, blogging, exercise, family and friends and keep on keeping on.

Kate : )

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with