Skip to main content

Identical Twins and Schizophrenia

Did you know that both identical twins usually do not develop schizophrenia. Schizophrenia, or any other mental illness, is not developed solely by genes alone, other factors contribute to its development. Identical twins prove this theory, one could develop schizophrenia and the other does not develop a mental illness, this is said to be discordant. Discordant illness in twins is more common than concordant, or both twins having a mental illness.

However, it is clear that bad parenting or a dysfunctional family is not one of the factors to develop schizophrenia. "Schizophrenia is caused by a genetic vulnerability coupled with environmental and psychosocial stressors, the so-called diathesis-stress model(http://www.schizophrenia.com/research/surg.general.2002.htm)". Complications prior to birth, or after birth, contribute to the likelihood of getting schizophrenia. Also, the underclass is more prone to developing schizophrenia than the upperclass, because the underclass is associated with more stresses.

"The twin studies showed that if one identical twin has schizophrenia, then there is a 30-50% chance that the other twin will have it as well. If a fraternal twin has schizophrenia, then there is a 15% chance that the other twin will have it as well. (This is the same percentage as any brother and sister)(http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=112)".

In closing, the book, Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia, by Pamela Spiro Wagner and Carolyn S. Spiro, M.D., give an account of what it is like to be twins where one suffers from schizophrenia and the other does not. "Told in the alternating voices of the sisters, Divided Minds is a heartbreaking account of the far reaches of madness as well as the depths of ambivalence and love between twins. It is a true and unusually frank story of identical twins with very different identities and wildly different experiences of the world around them. It is one of the most compelling histories of two such siblings in the canon of writing on mental illness" (http://books.google.com/books?id=C347R0goaa0C&dq=divided+minds:+twin+sisters'+journey+through+schizophrenia&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0).

Resources:

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=112

http://www.virginia.edu/topnews/textonlyarchive/March_1994/94-03-10_Identical_Twins_Do_Not_Have_Identical_Risk_of_Mental_Illness,_New_Book_Shows.txt

http://www.geneticsandhealth.com/2005/08/07/identical-twins-one-schizophrenic-the-other-not/

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~rm35/#NVN

http://www.schizophrenia.com/research/surg.general.2002.htm

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1117935.html

http://family.jrank.org/pages/1456/Schizophrenia-Risk-Disorder.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=PYc211F8oxIC&dq=divided+minds:+twin+sisters'+journey+through+schizophrenia&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPP1,M1

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi.. no problem i followed ur blog cuz i think its cool!!!!
stay tuned into my blog for new posts =D
enjoy!
aries28 said…
Hey - I have stopped by before and I think your writings are geat and inspirational for others. To be so young and have to battle such a demon is so admirable. We all need to stick together to get through everything. Always check back with me, I like to keep up with everyone!
Peace!
Kim said…
Ashley
I have very few blogs in health category when I receive some more of these type I will make another category till then I will add your blog in http://freesubmitnow.blogspot.com/

Take care and keep visiting :)
Kim
Laura said…
I'd like to know why some of those with schizophrenia are so functional despite their illness while others are totally debilitated.
Summer said…
Enviornment as so much to do with the way we turn out.... wow.
Ashley Smith said…
Great question Anonymous Drifter. I did some research and asked an expert from SchizophreniaConnection.com at www.healthcentral.com

There are several factors that contribute to a person's wellness: consistent medication compliance, insight into one's illness, support from others, personality or determination, age, and the sooner you treat the illness.

You have inspired me to write a post about this, so keep your eye on my blog and you'll see additional information regarding your question.

Ashley
Penny said…
Hi, Valesh! Your article about twins and schizophrenia was engrossing... It must be difficult to deal with...I remember about this illness because of the movie that singer, Diana Ross, played in where she portrayed a schizophrenic student dealing with it just at the end of her doctorate studies...Have you seen it? A haunting movie...I wish I could remember the title---oh! I do...It was called "Out of Darkness"... So very sad. Again, great, informative article.... Sweet Little Angel (Penny)
Ashley Smith said…
Penny Manning,

Yes, I have seen Out of Darkness, with Diana Ross. In fact I blogged about its showing a couple of weeks ago. It was a very good movie that protrayed schizophrenia.

Ashley
Ashley,
Thank you for posting about this. I did grow up in a dysfunctional family (to some degree) and often wondered if my brother's schizophrenia could have been triggered by it. But much deeper than this is the mental illness history on my dad's side of the family. It is quite prevalent. I also, unfortunately, have a sister who has heard voices and has an anger problem. Funny thing is, she is very functional and also is number one in her company for pharmaceutical sales (out of 200 employees). I ALWAYS analyze why they were affected and not the three other siblings weren't. Trust me, I have my strange thoughts and wonder if I have a hint of something. I do have a strong connection with my brother because we are so sensitive in nature. I find myself wanting to shelter him for the world. Bottom line, I agree that it is the reoccurring stress that triggers an individual to develop schizophrenia not just one event. We all know that we can't eliminate stress, but check back at my blog in the future. I will be posting about David Lynch and his experience with TM (meditation) and children. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for this post. My sister in law's identical twin recently took her own life after struggling with schizophrenia, and I think your website will be an invaluable way for her to try and understand what her sister was going through as she works to put the pieces together. Thank you for sharing something so intimate.
Anonymous said…
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with