Skip to main content

3 Tips to Empower You and Your Loved One

How can I help my loved one? How can I support their recovery? These are common questions I get from caregivers and supporters of people living with a diagnosis. I will identify three general tips to solidify your goals to empower your loved one.


Before asking how can I help my loved one, consider this: are they ready to move forward in recovery right now? Is this what they want, or what I want? Recovery demands ownership of the process. Here are some dos for supporting your loved: 


1) Give options and practice shared decision-making, 

2) Focus on strengths, and 

3) Keep the trust. 


First, nobody likes being told what to do. Therefore, practice shared decision-making. Empower your loved one with options. For example, instead of saying you’re going to this program or that personal care home, discuss the choices. I understand how this could work, first-hand. Eventually, I didn’t want to stay with family, I wanted to live on my own. My mother didn’t want me to leave, but she consciously avoided being overprotective and supported my decision to move into a personal care home. This decision established the fact that I was in control of my journey.


Second, recognize strengths. Most of society puts people with a diagnosis into a box. Others state limitations that instill fear to avoid exploring and developing skills. It is essential to acknowledge skills, hobbies, and goals, and to motivate your loved one to consider taking action to strengthen hope for better days.


Third, keep the trust. If there is a struggle explain actions when your loved one is doing better and is more receptive to the conversation. Therefore, avoid arguing about symptoms and experiences such as delusions or false beliefs. If your loved one is argumentative that is not the time to explain perspectives. In fact, do not argue about false beliefs because it will widen the gap of distrust and wear you down.


Finally, as we know, mental illness is a brain disorder and medication may not treat all symptoms. Therefore, support your loved one by continuing to learn more about the diagnosis. Remember to manage your own self-care, which is vital to their journey and yours. Believe you will make many mistakes, but focus on the goals and your empowering intentions will prevail.


Comments

Victoria said…
Wonderful blog! Very helpful advice. Thanks for sharing. I also have schizoaffective disorder since 2006 and diagnosed in 2008. I have a blog too since 2013 www.noshameinschizophrenia.com
Come check it out!
Ashley Smith said…
Hi Victoria, I checked out your blog, it's awesome. I love its soothing appearance. Let's do a guest blog article for each other's blogs? I'll follow up on your contact page or you may email me. Thank you for visiting my blog. Continue to overcome schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder and to blog! All the best, Ashley
Anonymous said…
Hi Ashley,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I got your email and yes, let’s get together after the 4th! I emailed you back so let me know when you have time. Pax Victoria

Popular posts from this blog

Buddhism, My Mental Health & My Happiness by Jennifer L. Myers

Jennifer L. Myers is author of the blog, Never Give Up: Buddhism, Family, & Schizophrenia . Jennifer earned her masters in Urban and Environmental Policy from Tufts University and her undergraduate from UC Santa Cruz. She has experience working with the U.S. Peace corps in the Dominic Republic, environmental non-profits, and teaching. Currently, she is working on her memoir, Never Give Up: Buddhism, Family, & Schizophrenia. The following is her experience... Buddhism, My Mental Health & Happiness by Jennifer L. Myers When I was first diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2002 I had already been practicing Buddhism with the SGI (Soka Gakkai International) for 14 years. Still, I didn't have a very strong practice at the time. I attended local discussion meetings regularly, but I didn't spend much time chanting on a daily basis. It wasn't until the symptoms of schizophrenia - the voices whispering in my head, the screaming and yelling I heard outside my apartm...

Lack of Trust: A Byproduct of My Mental Illness

In this entry, I'll share my experiences with Schizophrenia in regards to feeling lack of trust in others, paranoia, and isolation.... I remember my many episodes with Schizophrenia where I felt uneasy because of lack of trust in others. In the past, isolation was a giant bullying me around. Sometimes my mind would take me to a place of fear, hurt, and an unsettling spirit, which started with what seemed like a strange look, or a different feeling around an individual, when in reality it was another symptom of my undiagnosed illness- paranoia. My paranoia was rampant and dictated my life prior to experiencing a crisis, which led me to jail and into forced treatment and to receive an official diagnosis of Schizophrenia in 2007. In other words, my illness created enemies in my mind. For instance, I once believed my favorite kin was against me and I felt like she wanted me to fail, and I eventually thought she was conspiring to harm me. However, she never said anything to imply these ...

Fear to Openness about Medication

I am concerned that I may be slipping into depression that may get worse if untreated. Prior to the birth of my child I never had a bout with depression, but as my body changed so did my hormones and my susceptibility to depression. A few months ago I was diagnosed with postpartum depression and at the time I knew I needed extra support from my my treatment team. I knew I needed to focus on my mental health because my anxiety level was up and down, it was difficult to concentrate, and I felt extremely overwhelmed and afraid my mental illness would rear its ugly head and try to destroy my recovery accomplishments. I spoke my therapist who contacted my doctor and let them know I was coming in the next morning as a walk-in, which I did and we tweaked my medication. Now, its hard to focus and to carry out minor assignments, sometimes I feel anxious for no reason, I am extremely tired and sleep more than usual, and I feel like I am on a downward spiral. Yet, I have reason to be. I have ...