Skip to main content

Are People Living With Schizophrenia More Likely to Commit Suicide?

A person on a chat group said he read an article that said people living with schizophrenia are more likely to commit suicide within five years of their diagnosis.

I cannot find the article, however, I did find a book called 50 Signs of Mental Illness by James Whitney Hicks, M.D., that said, "Approximately one out of every ten patients with schizophrenia commit suicide, usually during the first ten years of illness". Hicks gives some reasons why people with schizophrenia commit suicide: 'the person is experiencing psychosis and believe that the world is against them, or they are confused by their symptoms'. Another explanation is that 'they are disturbed by their diagnosis'. There is hope, Hicks recommends a drug called clozapine to reduce the risk of suicide. In general, people with schizophrenia should take medication reduce to the risk of suicide.

Here are some tips if you think someone is suicidal (National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)):
  • Do not leave the person alone
  • Encourage the person to get immediate help or call 911
  • Make sure that the individual does not have access to firearms, medication, or other potential tools for suicide

Or you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for guidance and support.

What do you think?

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's interesting information. If a person with this mental illness takes their medicine, are they still psychosis? If so, I guess it would be very important for anyone in recovering or receiving treatment to make sure their medicine does what it is supposed to do. I might also be important to develop a friend or person that you can trust that can help you stay on track. That person should be able to tell you if you need to re-analysis your medicine. I am understanding that oftentimes changes or adjustments need to be made to it. It can have a grave side affect if its not working for you, right? Thanks for the info.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for this Blog! I was diagnosed or misdiagnosed as manic depressive back in 1983. After a manic episode back in 1999 that required hospitalization, I have altered my personal life drastically. Two very close friends are schizophrenic. Both have dealt with their illness through on-going therapy and medication. Neither have attempted suicide and for that I am grateful. Personally, I think manic depressives are far more likely to attempt suicide.
Mystery Woman said…
I wont go into details but I've been on all kinds of medications and although I do relapse from time to time I am getting better.
At one point although I was experiencing manic depression the doctor still had me on medication for schizophrenic. I do think if a certain med is working it should be re-evaluated and changed based on the individual. By the way I wanted to commit suicide most times but never actually acted upon it. I was more into self mutilation. I am better.

Popular posts from this blog

Buddhism, My Mental Health & My Happiness by Jennifer L. Myers

Jennifer L. Myers is author of the blog, Never Give Up: Buddhism, Family, & Schizophrenia . Jennifer earned her masters in Urban and Environmental Policy from Tufts University and her undergraduate from UC Santa Cruz. She has experience working with the U.S. Peace corps in the Dominic Republic, environmental non-profits, and teaching. Currently, she is working on her memoir, Never Give Up: Buddhism, Family, & Schizophrenia. The following is her experience... Buddhism, My Mental Health & Happiness by Jennifer L. Myers When I was first diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2002 I had already been practicing Buddhism with the SGI (Soka Gakkai International) for 14 years. Still, I didn't have a very strong practice at the time. I attended local discussion meetings regularly, but I didn't spend much time chanting on a daily basis. It wasn't until the symptoms of schizophrenia - the voices whispering in my head, the screaming and yelling I heard outside my apartm...

Lack of Trust: A Byproduct of My Mental Illness

In this entry, I'll share my experiences with Schizophrenia in regards to feeling lack of trust in others, paranoia, and isolation.... I remember my many episodes with Schizophrenia where I felt uneasy because of lack of trust in others. In the past, isolation was a giant bullying me around. Sometimes my mind would take me to a place of fear, hurt, and an unsettling spirit, which started with what seemed like a strange look, or a different feeling around an individual, when in reality it was another symptom of my undiagnosed illness- paranoia. My paranoia was rampant and dictated my life prior to experiencing a crisis, which led me to jail and into forced treatment and to receive an official diagnosis of Schizophrenia in 2007. In other words, my illness created enemies in my mind. For instance, I once believed my favorite kin was against me and I felt like she wanted me to fail, and I eventually thought she was conspiring to harm me. However, she never said anything to imply these ...

Fear to Openness about Medication

I am concerned that I may be slipping into depression that may get worse if untreated. Prior to the birth of my child I never had a bout with depression, but as my body changed so did my hormones and my susceptibility to depression. A few months ago I was diagnosed with postpartum depression and at the time I knew I needed extra support from my my treatment team. I knew I needed to focus on my mental health because my anxiety level was up and down, it was difficult to concentrate, and I felt extremely overwhelmed and afraid my mental illness would rear its ugly head and try to destroy my recovery accomplishments. I spoke my therapist who contacted my doctor and let them know I was coming in the next morning as a walk-in, which I did and we tweaked my medication. Now, its hard to focus and to carry out minor assignments, sometimes I feel anxious for no reason, I am extremely tired and sleep more than usual, and I feel like I am on a downward spiral. Yet, I have reason to be. I have ...