- All people living with schizophrenia are violent. - This is a misperception pushed by the media. However, people living with schizophrenia are no more violent than the general population. In fact, they are more likely to withdraw from people out of fear when experiencing psychotic symptoms.
- Schizophrenia is caused by dsyfunctional families. - It is nobody's fault why someone develops schizophrenia. However, conflicts make symptoms worsen and increase the risk of a relapse.
- Schizophrenia is the same as split personality. - People with a split personality have a disorder called "dissociative disorder". People who have schizophrenia have one personality. The word schizophrenia means "split mind," psychotic symptoms make reality unreal to people with schizophrenia.
- There is no hope for recovery. - There is treatment for schizophrenia, usually antipsychotic medications such as Zyprexa, Geodon, and Abilify. See the post titled, "Medication for Schizophrenia," for a list of other medications.
- Schizophrenia is a curse. - Schizophrenia is a mental disorder caused by an imbalance in the level of dopamine, it is not a curse.
- Schizophrenia must be treated by sorcerers and faith healers. - Schizophrenia should be treated by professional health care providers.
- Drugs and alcohol can cause schizophrenia. - Some drugs make people develop symptoms similar to those found in schizophrenia, however when they cease using these drugs the symptoms stop.
Hopefully you have never heard of any of these myths, and if you have they are all incorrect. It is very important to be properly informed of the illness, especially if you have a loved one who is diagnosed with schizophrenia.
- The Complete Family Guide to Schizophrenia