Skip to main content

Independent Living For People Living With Schizophrenia

What is independent living? Independent living is a home for people that need a little extra help caring for themselves. It is a steping stone for people to mature into their own independent living arrangement. The home has a house manager that lives there and provides supervised distribution of medication and prepared meals. There is usually a curfew to make sure that people are safe, and visiting hours. It is great for a lot of people including those with a mental illness, people who are handicap, and the elderly. I would recommend independent living for those who need help taking their medication, and as a temporary living arrangement until that person is stable and responsible to take their own medication.

Here are some reasons why independent living should be a viable option compared to living at home with a parent or sibling:

  • Feeling more independent or self-reliant
  • Less stress on family
  • Less disagreements with parents and siblings
  • More freedom to do what you want to do


I have lived in an independent living establishment. I lived there for six months. I liked it for a little while but I wanted more freedom. I liked the prepared meals because I do not cook. I did not like having a curfew and I wanted my friends to be able to stay longer than the usual visiting hours which were something like 2-7pm. I also didn't like sharing a room with two other girls, I wanted my my own room and bathroom. Lastly, I did not like having a suicidal roommate, fortunately the house manager called the police so that my roommate was forced to go to the hospital.

Comments

kw said…
You really have your head screwed on straight! It sounds like you have great bounderies, which something I still struggle with.

I come here in a guily kind of way. I have a post that needs to be spread ASAP, so I'm going to put the link here. It may save an innocent man's life.

http://danomacnamarrah.blogspot.com/2008/09/stop-killing-of-troy-davis.html

Okay, thanks. I'll catch up w/you later, as I'm on a mission. Troy Davis is scheduled to die on the 23rd.
John said…
Hey Ashley, I just read your entire blog and I really liked it. I had my second episode last summer which put me in the hospital for two weeks. I am still adjusting to life with bipolar disorder and I take Zyprexa right now, but I don't like the side effects. Anyway, great blog!
Smizzle said…
Hi Ashley,

Your posts are great. I have a brother with SZ. As you are from CA, where can I find a listing for Independent Living houses?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Rita said…
Rita, 7yrs. my son as been a revolving door. Will not stay on his meds. To this day he denies he has schizophenia. He has even been court ordered. Which was the longest he was on his meds. and did great! His Dr. says he is very treatable. But has convinced his Dr. hes fine again. so they dropped court order. He has now gotten aressted again for being violant. Now another EDO. He has had a very good support family. Till now. All thats left is me, his Mother. Please I Pray, Direct me to a rehab or independent living facility. He is very strong willed 29 yr old. Very intellegent & needs help to accept his issues & learn he can still live a productive life with this.
Anonymous said…
I was wondering if there's a way to no roommates.
Unknown said…
Hi you people are really doing an awesome. I was looking for assisted living Denver CO, and found your post. Very Impressive.

Popular posts from this blog

No, Please, That's Not Me

Prior to my diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia I did some things that I am not proud of. Now that I look back on things I blame my illness for my poor judgment. I am by no means condoning the behavior I carried out, and will share with you here. I will provide a few instances where my behavior was unlike me and caused an uproar. This post shows how schizophrenia affects other people. This post is for the family members and friends of people with schizophrenia, or showing bizarre behaviors. First, I asked my mother permission to give my friend a statue that was in my mother's house. My mother agreed to give my friend the statue, however, I took her permission a step further to get rid of what she had at my discretion. At the time I did not live with my mother who was away on a business trip. My mother buys and sells things so she had a lot of collectibles, antiques, and other interesting stuff. While my friend and me were in my mother's house my friend saw a lot of stuff that s

What Is Remission?

Remission is the absence of symptoms for at least six months with the support of medication. In other words, a doctor who has never seen you before may not diagnose you as a person with schizophrenia anymore. Remission is also high functioning in several aspects of life, living independently, goinig to school or to work, and socializing with other people. However, this does not mean the patient is cured or the illness has went away, the illness is still present, however, under control. Remission is achieved with the assistance of medication. "Published studies suggest that 10% to 20% of people with schizophrenia have remission of their illness as they get older, 20% get worse, but in a large majority (60% to 70%), the course of illness remains relatively unchanged." To reach remission it is recommended that you aim for a stress-free environment. Therefore, do things to relieve stress such as journaling, exercising, talking to friends, listening to or creating music, making a

by A Guest Blogger: For Addicts, Recovery Means Creating a New Life

If you’re struggling to maintain your sobriety, you aren’t alone. There are millions of fighters just like you working toward reclaiming their lives from drugs and alcohol. There are a few common traits that many successful recovering addicts share. Keep reading to find out what they are and how you can follow in their footsteps. They establish new patterns You can’t continue to live your life the same was you did when you were using. You must change and adapt to your newfound sobriety. Consider a career change; many recovering addicts find they have more success by starting their own business. One career that is easy to enter is dog walking. As a dog walker , you’ll reap many rewards including getting to spend time with dogs, which can actually boost your recovery efforts and stave off depression. Dogs have been used as part of a treatment plan for users as young as 11 and come with the added benefit of helping you stay physically active. Plus, being with